A number of people think that dry skin occurs only in the winter season when the cold wind blows and the temperature drops. But the truth is that dry skin is a problem for some people throughout the year, regardless of their climate.
What are the common causes of Dry Skin?
Change in the environment and some common ill treatment at our hands cause dryness in our skin. Most of the causes are external and can be easily treated. Here are some of the most common causes of dry skin.
- Not applying the moisturizer the right way - Most people apply moisturizer on dry skin rather than damp skin.
- Dry Air - Blowers and Air Conditioners create dryness in the indoor atmosphere.
- Using Body wash or Soap - Harsh body wash or soaps cause causes dry skin.
- Medications - Dryness is the side effect of some medicines and drugs.
- How shower baths - Spending prolonged time in hot water rips off natural oils from the body.
Whether it looks on the surface or not, dry skin is not appealing to anyone. If dry skin is left untreated, it can also lead to inflammation of the skin, which is known as infection and dermatitis. But, with some changes in your skincare routine and using the right product, you should be able to alleviate the problem.
6 Ways to Treat Dry Skin
- Stop spending long hours in hot water Hot water baths are surely very relaxing after a long day at work, but spending too much time in hot water can ruin your skin by stripping away moisture and oils. Instead, use lukewarm water and do not spend more than 10 minutes in the shower. If your skin is itchy and dry, you can try adding rolled oats to your bathtub. The oatmeal will heal, soothe, and soften your skin. You can also run cold water during the last minute of your shower to help close your pores and seal the moisture in your skin.
- Ditch harsh Soaps Cleansing the skin with Soap often increases the skin's pH, which is around 5 at the surface of healthy human skin. A gentle, soap-free body wash can help cleanse the body while relieving dry skin. FCL Oatsilk body wash is enriched with the goodness of Colloidal Oat Complex, Sodium PCA and Linoleic Acid that soothes skin conditions like eczema, bug bites, and sunburns and provides anti-inflammatory, moisturizing healing support.
- Moisturize after taking a bath The moisturization helps keep skin hydrated and refreshed. After taking a shower, apply your moisturizer on damp skin. Use extra moisturizer on areas more prone to dryness, like hands, feet, elbows and legs. FCL Oatsilk Body Lotion works amazingly on dry skin. It is formulated with Shea Butter, Triple Oat Complex, Linolenic Acid and Sodium PCA that relieves and soothes dry skin while providing lasting protection and skin hydration for 24 hours.
- Don’t forget to Exfoliate your skin Our skin sheds regularly and removes the things that are brought on by free radicals that hate our skin. If the dead skin cells stay on our skin, they roughen the texture and block pores which lead to other skin concerns. Therefore, it is important to exfoliate the skin at least twice or thrice a week. FCL Penta Peel Pads is an easy, at-home chemical peel treatment that removes dead skin cells and promotes a healthy cell turnover. This peel treatment helps reduce melasma, imparts a smooth texture and reduces wrinkles and fine lines.
- Taking supplements Taking some supplements might help promote soft, healthy and evenly toned skin. Vitamin C, E and a few acids have improved skin quality and damage caused by oxidation and sun damage.
- Hydrate yourself well If the outermost layer of the epidermis doesn't contain enough water, the skin will lose elasticity and feel rough. Ensure you drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. You can also try FCL HA4 Plus Serum, which has four different molecular weights of hyaluronic acid that keeps the skin hydrated, soft and plump.
Do check if your dryness has resulted in Keratosis Pilaris
Skin condition related to dryness is Keratosis Pilaris. It affects nearly 50% of adults. It is a skin condition where small bumps develop on our skin in areas like arms, legs, or butt. This happens when a protein in our skin- Keratin, builds up and forms bumps that resemble goose bumps. This condition might be unsightly, but it is not dangerous.
Treating it with a gentle skincare routine can help soften the skin affected by Keratosis Pilaris. Body Lotions containing Retinol, Lactic Acid, and Alpha Hydroxy Acids can help improve skin texture. FCL Bio-Retinol Body Lotion helps in skin rejuvenation and cell revitalization. This body lotion reduces wrinkles, improves skin elasticity, stimulates the synthesis of dermic proteins and growth factors, and makes skin supple and healthy.
Read more - Winter Skin Care Tips for Oily Skin